The heart of an African Man

The Heart of an African man

I have been judged many times by many people,
Well before people know who I am,
They’ve seen me beat my wife a hundred times,
And seen me live in a harem,
With a dozen wives,
They’ve seen me kick sand in children’s eyes,
Before I beat them to a pulp,
All in their mind’s eye.

They’ve seen me take what is not mine,
They’ve seen me rip a purse from a woman and run,
Or beat her if her resolve is too strong,
They’ve seen all this but that’s not me,
They’ve never taken the time to know me,
Because they are afraid to come close.
The judgment is already made,
In a verdict with no appeal.

But if they took that chance,
They would know me as a passionate man,
That when I love, I love completely,
That I would protect my wife even if it took my life,
They would know that if I have any violence,
It’s the violent boiling of my blood with love and determination,
Determination to make this world a better place,
And be better to everyone I come across.

Such is the heart of this African man.

Comments

Popular Posts