Be the King

After losing another day’s battle,
With my mind sapped and brittle,
I staggered into a bar to have a drink,
And perchance also salvage a moment to think,
As I saw the bottom of glass after glass,
I wondered how fate drove me down so fast,
The bartender not a day over forty,
Turned and said, “Son, tell your story.”

I told him it had been long since last I tasted victory,
Why? To me that was the mystery,
I have battled hard and applied much force,
But each day delivers a flattening loss,
I’ve done all I know,
Yet each day is another blow,
Maybe it’s time I call an end,
Maybe I have nothing left to defend.

He turned to speak wisdom as in a song,
And said son you’re going about it all wrong,
He poured me another drink,
And said, here’s something for you to think,
Life is like a game of chess,
So set your mind beyond your current mess,
You need to have seen tomorrow’s moves,
Before today’s you do choose.

Watch each piece you have in hand,
Study what they can do and where they stand,
Look at how life is likely to play,
Then by that, set your own way,
So no matter how hard a blow you suffer today,
It sets life up for your own play,
Know what to let go,
Only if, for it you know you’ll take more.

I see you’re running yourself to the ground,
Perhaps to earn that extra pound,
But on that board who have you been?
A pawn, bishop, knight or queen?
Granted, the queen travels far and inspires fear,
It eliminates foe far and near,
But aspire to be the King,
Who without, there is no win.

Life is not about what you do, son,
But about what you get done,
Every piece gives itself up to protect a single one,
Who stands whether the game is lost or won,
Don’t be the warrior charging through the gates,
But be the one that everyone protects,
With a smile he turned away,
After having had his say.

As I waddled form the bar,
In search for my carriage or my car,
I thought hard about what I’d heard,
And meditated upon what I’d learned,
That it must be the mind that strives hardest,
That it must be it that travels farthest,
It’s not about what you do son,
But what you get done.

Comments

Popular Posts